UPON THE ROOF


For months I have been watching my neighbor’s roof.
Sometimes with binoculars but mostly with my naked eye.  My obsession started in the summer and has now continued into autumn.  The roof in question belongs to a brownstone on my block and my apartment on the ninth floor of a nearby building gives me an aerial view over it.  It is the perfect perspective from which to gaze in awe, but the object of my fascination is not what you might think.
For months the workers there have been building an additional floor on top of the brownstone and as a designer, I find this deeply interesting.  It started with some neat men walking around the roof and pointing.  The next thing I noticed was a team of workers removing the old tarry roof, replacing the ancient wooden joists with steel ones for support, then putting down a simple plywood floor to stand on. 
After that, the real construction began.  Plan, scheme, process, materials, it is all there.  The whole practice of making a thing – in this case a new living space where none was before – was unfolding down there below me.  I felt like some sort of master builder watching it happen, except for the simple fact that I am just a bylooker, a peeper from afar.

The structure they are working on is about 20 feet wide by 50 feet long and it is composed of four materials only…brick, cinder block, wood, mortar.  Watching the men working is a study in the art of craft.  They are efficient in their moves, little effort wasted.  The carpenter cuts and nails his wood, the mason grinds and sets his bricks, there does not seem to be any foreman; they each know their task and move through it with precision.
Two of the carpenters set their ceiling joists – massive planks of wood – into notches they have cut into the cinderblock with a Sawzall.  Adjust, adjust, then readjust.  I know this part of the process very well and tell my students that if they cannot tolerate changing and reworking, they should switch their majors to accounting where the numbers always add up the same way, or at least are supposed to.
I also notice that the edges where things meet seem to matter.  Seams between the brick and the cinder block cannot be too wide since they end up being filled with mortar; the wood must be protected with some sheathing from the mortar that will hold it in place; wood has to abut wood to create the strongest connection.  Edges matter in all design…those places where text and image join up, for example, or the ways the shapes in a logo meet to unify the form.

But of all the building going on down there, I am most intrigued by the bricklayer.  He must work around the wooden frames of future windows and doors, squeeze himself between the cinder block walls, begin and end at the exact right edge, make a thing that will not budge.  He is orderly, masterly, relentless in building his walls brick by brick.  Measuring the space, grinding the bricks, buttering the edges, placing each piece, tapping and leveling.  He is a maestro of the trowel, moving at such a steady pace that I can see why the masonic craft had an elemental appeal.
I envy him for this.  Everything in life is inconclusive, vague.  In teaching and in writing, and even much of graphic design, the goals and achievements constantly shift and change.  Opinions, attitudes, contradictions muddy the waters.  Did I really accomplish what I set out to do?  Will my work work the way it should?  Yet at the end of each day, the bricklayer – with little need for philosophy I imagine – builds his wall.  And when he is done, it is done, and no one can doubt it, nor the thing he made.
I wonder if the owners will even notice or even think twice about the handiwork that went into the outer walls of their fine new living space, walls they will never even see.
I doubt it and think to take some photos to give to them next year when the job is done.  But I will not do that, of course. 
Some design is meant to disappear into the bigger picture, and the individual who made left only to briefly admire the result…and then move on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment